Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm still here!

Still busy. I finished proof-reading Stuff of Legends in time for my deadline, but it was a near thing. Interesting process -- the hardest part was resisting the urge to tinker. At times, I was convinced that this was the most wretched, clumsily written thing in the history of novels, but if I just changed a few turns of phrase, shifted focus a little bit here, trimmed some dialogue there, it could be brilliant . . . but that's what I think every time I read my own writing, whether I'm able to edit it or not. I'm going to have to learn to let go of that impulse.

I did end up with a list of a dozen changes or corrections; mostly minor, but there was one embarrassing instance where I'd inverted the name of the wizards' conclave and gift shop. It was there back through every draft, and I can't count how many times I haven't caught it. Hopefully, there aren't any others I'm failing to see, or if there are, that nobody else will every realize they're there either.

Word from my editor is that she's got a full-colour galley of Stuff of Legends on her desk. Before very long, I should have one of those on my desk, too... which means I should clear some space for it to dock. This will be a challenge. I like a tidy desk with plenty of space, but rarely manage to achieve such a thing. I blame the migratory herds of books that fill my house -- they keep returning here as to a spawning ground, and where they go, flocks of paper follow.

Less progress than I'd like on the sequel. Some sketching -- or more accurately, doodling -- which is my ur-writing technique for figuring out characters and scenes. Oddly enough, the sketch that came quickest and easiest to me is the one I've included with this post.

Next on the list of things to do in preparation-for-publication: Get an updated author photo (I've said I'll send it off on Monday) for the author page I'll be getting on penguin's website, and get a Self Q&A done up for handy press-release material (suggested by the publicist who'll be working with me as the book nears launch). The photo and anything else I can come up with will also get added to my amazon page, this blog, and various other places. To market, to market . . . myself.

Speaking of amazon, take a look at the page for Stuff of Legends. They've got the cover. This makes me happy.

Countdown: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment