Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Funny Fantasy

This morning was business: redrafting the look of my website over at Comic Genesis, posting on forums, getting my name and my book a little bit farther out there into the web-consciousness. It's not as much fun as sitting down with Kess and Eliott and plotting out their ongoing adventures, but it's all part of the process.

One of my posts was in a thread about comedy writing on the ABNA discussion boards, where I described Stuff of Legends as "funny fantasy", which I'm told is the correct term for that odd fantasy/humour hybrid where someone getting eaten by a dragon makes you laugh. This made me think about my automatic assumption that everyone who reads this blog or hears me refer to Stuff of Legends knows that it's both of those things -- because, hey, I know everything about this book, so of course you do, too.

Silly, silly author.

So, for the record and pending an official cover blurb, Stuff of Legends is a satirical fantasy about heroism and celebrity, in a pseudo-Europe-ish world where sword-swinging dragon slayers not only defeat demon armies but also have their deeds orchestrated and marketed by talent agents and bards. Jordan the Red was one of these heroes, until he retired and went into hiding. Twenty years later, his past catches up with him in the form of fifteen-year-old Eliott, his greatest fan, who brings Jordan back to the attention of his agent, Glister Starmacher. With Eliott's best friend and former babysitter, Kess, and newly-certified bard Cyral Gideon along for the ride, Jordan must once again defeat evil wizards and dragons, this time to save the very people responsible for creating his legend in the first place.

I hope you'll laugh at the dragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment